Monday, January 26, 2009

What a crazy Weekend!

We have had quite the weekend here! I got a phone call from Radell at around 11 on Friday morning. He told me that he was on his way to the Hospital because he cut his thumb on a table saw at work. I asked him how bad it was and he said that it was pretty much cut off, but still hanging on by skin. It immediately made me sick to my stomach. He went into the Hospital in Tooele, and after about 3 hours of x-rays and doctors trying to figure out what they could do.... they finally told him the only thing they could do would be to cut his thumb off from the middle knuckle up. When the saw cut him, it shattered the bone above the knuckle. The doctor told him that there was a hand surgeon at the University Hospital in SLC that he believed would be able to save his thumb. So that's where we went. I dropped him off at about 2:30 and they were supposed to be waiting for him for surgery. Well there was 2 big car accidents that ended up filling up the ER... his thumb had to wait. The doctor (and Rad of course) was getting sick of waiting around, so ended up numbing Rad's hand and fixing his thumb right in his room instead of the ER. Radell thought it was pretty cool to watch him drill a rod into his thumb. I of course thought it was gross. Finally at about 8:30 I got the call that he was done. I was waiting in the parking lot with all of the kids. After the LONG car ride home in the THICK fog... I was happy to get all of the kids in bed and take a moment to breathe and be grateful that he didn't cut himself worse than he did. I am amazed how a half of a thumb can change so many things in so many lives. It has really opened up my eyes to how much Radell does for our family. He continues to do as much as he can but the simple things like washing his hands, I have to do for him. He somehow managed to do laundry for me with help from the kids. I was working on cakes so it was nice to have that help. We are hopeful that the top half of his thumb will heal and not have to be cut off... we will hopefully see progress on Friday at his next appointment. As for now he has a rod drilled down through the lower half of his thumb that comes out the top of his thumb and hooks. He is at work right now... I am grateful to have a Husband that does his best to take care of our family.... it would have been so easy and much less painful to stay home. He can't be on his pain meds while at work, I'm sure that he will have to work shorter days to be able to come home and take his pain meds. I have managed to get some more cakes done while he was sleeping..... here they are.....

2 comments:

  1. Rachel and Radell,
    I'm so sorry to hear about the thumb. I hope everything heals well and that you will be back at it in no time. I don't have a working right thumb and all is well, so you will be just fine, you'll just have to find new ways to do things. Good luck with everything and let me know if there is anything I can do for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your cakes are awesome! i have been out of town and didn't see the cake of clint and i until tonight! he saw it last week and told me how cool it was. i hope radell got his thumb working!

    ReplyDelete